A stone monument marks the northern end of the Dixie Highway and the meeting of Michigan’s East and West Pikes in Mackinaw City. The monument was dedicated in July 1916 as automobile travel and named highway routes were rapidly expanding across Michigan. Contemporary reporting described the structure as about 18 feet tall and built of rough stone.
The monument later disappeared; a clock now occupies the general site. The photographer’s inscription identifies J.R. Johnson, whose full name is cataloged as John R. Johnson by the University of Michigan.
Look for more about this photo in the comments below.
#MackinawCity #DixieHighway #MichiganHistory
